Monday, April 16, 2012

Wasps

Found this lovely sleepy wasp in the garden this afternoon, yes I did say 'lovely' because I'm a great fan of wasps - not when they sting me of course, but then again they don't do that gratuitously. But generally, they're great pest controllers around the place and actually they're amazingly handsome. I remember a couple of years ago sitting in the tea room at Corfe Castle with Philip sharing his scones and jam with wasps ("I've got lots, I don't mind sharing") - he was entranced with them nipping to and from his plate. Now, they can be a pest and last year we had to have a nest dealt with for the first time; normally we just leave them be up in the eves but this one was in a place where they could have been nasty. But generally, I reckon we ought to learn to love wasps.


No comments:

Post a Comment